Who We Are
Early in 1957, there was nothing in northern Arizona but rock, sand, and sagebrush, with a herd of Navajo sheep seen now and then in the distance.
With the coming of engineers and equipment, the need for a place to house them was important as well as a place for those that will operate the Dam and Powerhouse that was constructed later. So a town sprang up out of the sand with 200 permanent homes, a water plant, sewer disposal plant, swimming pool, fire station, stores and everything to take care of the people.
The town was called Page, and it grew to around 7,000 or better at the peak of construction and after construction, it was believed to level off around 4,000.
As workers came to Page, some of them were Episcopalians who wanted a place to attend church. A few got together and one was the layleader Fred S. Finch, who at the time lived at Kanab, Utah 120 mile away. The group met first in the trailer office of Dr. Ivan Kazan.
On Easter Sunday 1959, Sunrise Service was held on the building site for St. David’s Episcopal Church of Page. After this service, a special ground breaking was held for the first of three units: the Parish Hall. The first spade of dirt was dug by Rev. Adam Lovekin and Dr. Ivan Kazan working together under the direction of Earl Gilmore, the architect.
The first service was held in the new building on June 7, 1559 without the roof for Holy Communion and Confirmation of four by Bishop Kinsolving II.
From The History of St. David’s Episcopal Church of Page, Arizona by Fred Finch, recorder.